- Research and development purposes in all field experiments
- Supply or offer to supply for sale or placing on the market
- Offer as gift, prize or free item
- Remediation purposes
- Any other activity which does not amount to contained use
1. Apply to release activities and import activities involving living modified organisms.
2. Not apply to the importation of living modified organisms intended for purposes of undertaking a contained use activity
Application for approval
An application for the approval of any release activity, or any importation of living modified organisms, or both shall be submitted to the Director General through the institutional biosafety committee in the prescribed manner, together with the prescribed fees, and shall be accompanied with:
(a) a risk assessment and a risk management report
(b) an emergency response plan
(c) such other information as may be specified by the Board
Certificate of approval
1. The Board may grant the application by issuing a certificate of approval or refuse the application.
2. The Board may impose such terms and conditions as the Board thinks fit.
1. Approval shall be valid for the subsequent similar release activity involving the same living modified organisms or products of such organisms or importation involving the same living modified organisms undertaken by such approved person.
2. "Same living modified organisms or products of such organisms" means the living modified organisms or products of such organisms as described in the approval and involving the same transformation event.
1. Fee paid for the application shall not be refunded if the application is treated as withdrawn.
(a) supply or offer to supply for sale or placing on the market;
(b) offer as gift, prize or free item;
(d) remediation purposes;
(e) any other activity which does not amount to contained use except for commercial field release.
Research and development purposes in all field experiments per release site -
Less than 5 ha
5 ha – 10 ha
More than 10 ha